FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Upgrades
Thread: Award Upgrades
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:03 pm
johan rebel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Award Upgrades

Called the FD Elite desk this afternoon in an attempt to secure a couple of upgrades. Spoke to a friendly, competent and helpful agent. A few observations.
  • Both flights were wide open ( J9 C9 Z9), yet it was only possible to upgrade one of them. This confirms that the special allocation for PEs has gone.

• Upon my question whether there was any point in calling to ask again, and if so when, it was suggested that I try a few days before departure. There was no point in calling regularly before then.

• I was informed that I could upgrade in the lounge, JNB not being one of the destinations where upgrades are limited to certain booking classes only. The agent made it clear, however, that a change in this rule could not be ruled out.
I use my miles exclusively for upgrades, and used to score 100% until January of this year. Only half a year ago, an agent got yield management to release two seats for me "only because you are a PE". No longer.

As far as I'm concerned, the special upgrade bucket for PEs was the greatest feature of the FD program. I suspect it will only get worse from here.

johan