FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:13 am
kohswisscheese

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The problem is the value of an unflown segment depends. Was it a voluntary or a UA cancellation? if voluntary, you are still bound by the original fares (but not if UA cancelled or whole ticket unflown), And if voluntary, how you change the ticket will affect the residual value. Determing the residual vlaue can be difficult and most frontline agents will need to turn to the rate desk to get an answer.

Confusing, yes. Misleading, perhaps. But not really possible to put a simple value on the ticket. This is due to the partial flown nature. Perhaps no value would be better -- call UA.

Realize folks had a lot of cancelled plans and many may have not realized partial flown trips were going to be handled differential than unflown trips (but that has always been true)
Thanks for this. Pretty sure it was a UA cancellation since they completely stopped flying to Singapore. The FFC was then extended a couple of times. I appreciate that determining residual value is complicated. But I think the more critical issue is that if united.com shows that my FFC is worth $X and allows me to apply it to a ticket, and the 1K desk also acknowledged that my FFC is worth $X and was prepared apply it to a ticket, I don't understand how it suddenly becomes $X/3 when the agent tries to convert it to an ETC. Surely whatever United determines to be the value of the Credit they can show it on united.com. Bad tech perhaps.