FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:32 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
This seems to be the new policy since middle of last year and not misinformed agents, as referenced in the other thread. It is borderline bait-and-switch in reality. I have never had a flight that was >4+ months out that DIDN'T have a schedule change. So you plan your summer/fall vacations and book a flight because you find upgrade space (and now with the new rules, maybe you pay a premium for PS because you want guaranteed upgrade space), and then they change the flights and you lose the space. Meanwhile, your domestic 1.5 hour connection cleared into FC with the new rules and the certificate is considered used. Then you are told "sorry, there has to be space on the new flight" and you are hosed. Yes the new rules are kinda crappy (mainly having to buy PS to not waitlist on D1), but I would be more accepting of them if our upgrades are protected by Delta-initiated schedule changes; how are we supposed to know that there will still be upgrade space in 4-5 months when we are deciding what flights to purchase and apply certs to? Especially since we now have to put more money out of pocket.

I have a flight booked in August that I snagged upgrade space and got the ticket reissued prior to 2/1....I'm fully expecting shenanigans as the itinerary gets closer.

(I did e-mail Delta a couple weeks ago asking for clarity on the official policy for Delta-initiated schedule changes, but haven't gotten a response yet).
Thing is I'm just asking for the domestic portion to be changed. Guess I'll just hang out at the skyclub for about the same length of time as my flight or go to Mall of America.

What has me concerned would be if the LHR flight would have gotten pushed back before my connection into MSP lands. Would have Delta told me since I have to go on a new connection flight I'll have to waitlist for D1 now?

Or if they change the flight time by five mintues does that mean I'll lost the upgrade on the international flights?