FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many upgrade seats are released at a time
Old Feb 5, 2022, 11:18 am
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
So my wife and I have a two-segment single-PNR trip coming up on Monday. The first segment has already been upgraded for both of us. How would I even know if the F seats on the second segment are given away to lower priority single travelers while my wife and I wait for the elusive 2 seats to get released? As far as I know, there is no waitlist to look at, and once the waitlist appears in the app after checkin, it doesn’t seem to show people who have already been upgraded.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
As others have said....splitting the record is the only way around this. This is one reason my wife goes with me on mileage runs....having only one elite in the immediate family doesn't work.
My wife (MVP) has zero interest in going on extra flights just for the sake of increasing our chances of upgrades. So I am not doing MRs either, and frankly their upgrade algorithm reduces my motivation to earn higher status even through regular purposeful flying. So it’s award travel and free agency where it makes sense…