FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TAP: TLV to EWR from $1457
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2022, 2:35 pm
cheltzel

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by tr3k
I recall that in the past they listed European "business" configuration aircraft on that route (at least the last time I checked, which was last summer), so the results on flightradar are consistent with that. That was the reason I never considered booking Tap previously for this route (I was purposely checking it from time to time to see if they change their mind wrt. the aircraft)

Right now Tap does not have a flight to TLV at all (on their website they book a codeshare with LY on weekends only). So, it seems that the flights available for booking in the spring are essentially "new". While Tap is not known for good service (in fact, they are just after UA on my personal list of "favorite" airlines), we don't know yet what kind of aircraft they will actually use when the route restarts.

I booked these tickets for the late spring - we'll see.

P.S. Even now, the flights available in February (26-27) are still listed as A320Neo (i.e. Euro-seat). The A320LR is listed beginning April, which I believe is the first time Tap advertised such. Let's see what happens then.

P.P.S. When you look at flight details, Tap seems to encode "Euro" aircraft as A320Neo and "lie flat"/LR as A321Neo.
TAP Uses the shorthand A21N to include two different sub-types, the A321-251N and the A321-251NX. Only the latter has the lie flat seats. When I was looking a few months ago, I was shown A321 Neo aircraft for the LIS TLV route. and all of these ended up being Euro-business seating.

I am not saying that is what you will get. Actually I hope to see that we see the A321-251NX on the LIS-TLV route most of the time. But with only a few A321-251NX aircraft in their fleet (TP website says 8 and flightradar24 says 10 with 2 additional recent deliveries), they have to be largely dedicated to longer range routes or high demand/profit shorter range markets.

Uppdate:

I found some more information a thread on the TP forum about the discrepancies on the LIS-TLV route. Check out the last two posts (#13 and #14) in the following. It specifically addresses the issue we've been discussing.

2-2 Seating A321 neo

Last edited by cheltzel; Feb 5, 2022 at 8:29 am Reason: Add additional information