FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:26 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MoreWasabi
1, Are upgrades less available in general since Covid? ...
Yes and No
As a long term trend UA has been releasing less space early and trying to sell premium cabin (or cash upgrades) more aggressively and prices (especially domestic and leisure markets) have dropped encouraging outright purchases
Additionally it has been a battle to match capacity to demand and that has driven upgrades in the shortterm -- sometimes easily, many times hard
But clearing upgrades many months in advance is definitely become harder

... 2. Am I better off buying the flight with my waitlisted upgrade now? Or if I buy the flight without an upgrade, does United email members upgrade offers closer to departure (i.e. a lower co-pay or confirmed upgrade)?....
UA does not email upgrade offers but they are offered on the website at purchase, at checkin and anytime in between
...3. Why are co-pay's so expensive? (yes, I know it's a business and they want their $$$) Pre-Covid they weren't that high, but now it can be almost half the fare price.
MUA co-pays have not changed. Perhaps the economy fares have decreased making the copays look high
...Do I have a better chance of my upgrade to Business clearing if I buy a Premium Plus fare? ...
Yes
...I don't have status so I don't know if it's worth it search in a specific booking class?.
Status is an important factor in upgrade clearance but even high elites have trouble finding early upgrade space.