FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Normandie
Thread: Normandie
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:49 am
Satie

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Normandy Barrière

Quick update on my one night stay at the Normandy Hotel in Deauville. Even though the OP is not going to this part of Normandy region, I thought it could be useful.

In one sentence, it was profoundly disappointing. The Normandy is a historic and prestigious property, along with its sister property, the Royal. My last stay was 10 years ago. Last renovation was 5 years ago and it has been done badly.

I stayed in a Prestige Sea view Suite at circa 700€/night. They have a standard rate and a “Suite Experience” rate (I’m always suspicious when you have to pay this kind of rates to benefit from the perks associated with the type of room). The rate included a welcome Champagne bottle, breakfast, free minibar etc.

Arrival at the hotel was fine with bell staff and front desk, but no personal touch and very few information provided.
The suite was esthetically pleasing at first, but it became evident that all the materials were of low quality, cheap fake woods, cheap flooring, etc. Except for the beautiful Toile de Jouy. The worst part was the ugly bathroom which would be a good fit for an Ibis hotel. The Barrière branded toiletries were 3-star quality. Coffee machine comes with paper cups, turndown is done lazily.

Absolutely no welcome amenities except for two plastic water bottles…
As for the facilities, restaurant is beautiful but the food is mediocre. I also learned by surprise a few days before the stay that the pool would be closed, yet no indication on the website or during booking procedure. No apologies of course.

All the staff is well intentioned but not polished. It is clear that Barrière does not know how to operate luxury hotels (except maybe for Fouquets hotel in Paris?). It is not my first mediocre experience with Barrière, as they owned quite a few landmark hotels in France (Royal and Hermitage in La Baule, the hotels in Deauville, Majestic Cannes, etc.). As MSPeconomist said these hotels can not be considered true luxury nowadays

As for the rates the OP quotes for Gd Hotel Dinard I’m sure there is no correlation with what you’d get. Castelbrac seems a better option IMO.

Last edited by Satie; Jan 25, 2022 at 12:06 pm