FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Current China Entry policy
View Single Post
Old Jan 23, 2022, 12:04 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Ricebucket
What exactly is your objective here? Have China adopt a policy that you know is unpopular with the public? Bring disease to hundreds of millions of people? Do you think about how it makes you look?
As a US citizen who is currently effectively banned from traveling to the PRC at all despite having a valid 10 year visa, I expect my government to stand up for me by banning PRC citizens from visiting my country in turn until this stupid policy stops.

Quarantines are medically necessary to stop the spread of disease, if your goal is zero COVID. I'm not debating whether that is realistic or not here. But if that is the goal, there is zero scientific reason for requiring all US citizens to fly directly from the US if flights through other countries are cheaper or for temporarily invalidating all visas issued prior to March 2020. There is no difference in the ability of US citizens vs. PRC citizens to carry viruses, and the quarantines are there to stop this from happening (this is why I was also critical of the previous US administration's travel "ban" that allowed US citizens to return to the US directly from the PRC and then walk off the plane directly into the general population). If you're willing to sit through a quarantine, you should be allowed to visit. If the PRC side isn't going to be reasonable and issue only regulations backed up by science, then I expect my government to engage in a tit for tat with them to make it as painful for them as possible to get this idiocy to stop.