FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:10 am
juddles

Programs: QF, LM
Originally Posted by og
Hardship indeed, but isn’t the WA Government simply doing what they were elected to do in the recent past? As an outsider ISTR the current Government went to the people at the State election with a “protect from COVID” platform, the people said “go for it” in a landslide vote, and the Government is now delivering.
Hi there og,
I get what you are saying. The WA populace truly agreed with the initial hard borders, etc, even as I did in pondering their situation. Then. But Omicron has changed things. It is the virulent thing that is not easily kept out by a border "closure".

I think what the public signed up to was a situation of a hard border, NOT eternal internal lockdowns. Separation from other states is far less harsh on a daily basis than an internal lockdown which crushes personal freedoms. Now that omicron is weaving its way in, the only way for the WA government to successfully continue in the coming weeks with their effective zero-Covid policy is to plunge the entire state into lockdowns that would make the Victorian experience seem free and happy. Omicron is in there, and the cases will just rise and rise. I do not think any country/region has successfully beaten omicron yet? I think the WA government officially admitted today that zero-Covid is now not an option, so are moving to the "suppression" thing. Which will of course involve long-term harsh lockdowns.

I wonder how that last election mandate will hold up when, in just weeks, they will be locking up cafes and gyms yet the eastern folk will be returning to Bali?