FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:12 pm
opus2002

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
​​​​​​FROM UNITED AIRLINES CANCELLATION POLICY
  • A refund may be requested for any fare that allows refunds. Depending on the rules of the fare purchased, a cancellation fee may apply. Most fares are nonrefundable, and are not eligible for voluntary refunds. However, the value of your ticket may be eligible to be applied toward the price of a new ticket for a fee. Tickets are valid 12 months from the day of ticket issuance, except for tickets purchased on or before December 31, 2021, which are extended from original date of issue to December 31, 2022. Travel must begin by December 31, 2022. Once travel begins, travel must be completed within 12 months from the outbound travel date.

MY QUESTION:
I have from ETC from 2020, with expiration date of 12/31/2022. I am thinking of using it to book EWR-YYC trip. I am debating if it make sense to spend extra $50 for refundable tickets? If I book a non-refundable ticket using the ETC, then I cancel the trip (for example $300), am I able to use the refund (the $300) for any trip or just the EWR-YYR route?

Thank you.