FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 Let's Eat - Polaris Business
View Single Post
Old Jan 19, 2022, 3:24 am
halls120
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by greenpau
Following up on this - I fly SFO-LHR more than any other route. SF is home, I’m London born, my family is there, and my work EU HQ is in London as well. I love the LHR crews, and know many of them by name, and they know me. My point was not one of their service style and approach - they are impeccably polite - but the Polaris staffing reductions are a huge issue for the base, and you can see that from AFA Union LHR Chapter updates and discussions regarding “essential” versus “optional” elements of the service flow, eg PDB, single tray. The High-J 76L runs half of the LHR schedule, and that Polaris staffing has been cut in half from pre-Covid. FAs are closing ranks as workload is increased, but staffing not restored. Every time a crew works together for the first time, they need to agree specifics on how they want to do the service and work together. My point from the story upthread was that when a mixed-based crew operates a flight, that can conflict with local base union positions / sentiments. What the SFO Purser in my last flight described to me on disagreements in service flow seems plausible.
More evidence that the cutback in Polaris service is being driven by Kirby cutting personnel costs, not because of COVID.