FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel resort fees
View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:15 pm
bitterproffit

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even when a resort fee is shown, it's not a total nonissue for the following reasons:

1. You typically don't earn hotel points on resort fees.

2. You typically don't pay various taxes on resort fees.

3. Resort fees might be waived for award/free nights.

4. Resort fees might be waived for top tier elites.

5.If you book through a travel agent (real live human type/Virtuoso/AmEx FHR), they typically don't earn commissions on hotel resort and destination fees.

Note: When I use a travel agent, I want him/her to be fairly compensated for his/her time at the standard commission rate on the entire price of my hotel room. I also don't want him/her to have incentives to steer me toward or away from particular properties based on the details of the hotel's compensation arrangement.
I know they suck but that’s part of the game. Marriott charges resort fees on awards stays, Hilton doesn’t, so if you don’t want to pay resort fees use Hilton points. I don’t see what “something must be done“ is about.

I usually avoid hotels with resort fees but have been known to stay there if it was somewhere I wanted to stay and the price is competitive with the competition. Just like I usually avoid all inclusives and that fee but sometimes I don’t. One time I actually negotiated away the resort fees.