FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FCM Buy up - No longer worth it
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:00 pm
StayingHomeIsBetter
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Unless policies have changed, recall that "upsales" (e.g., purchasing the upgrade off of the seat assignment page) carry a risk.

If something happens that prevents you from occupying a FC seat on the original flight, you will likely lose the supplemental UG fee that you paid. Fees for paid UGs are not refunded.

So, if the original flight is cancelled, you are out of luck...
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
This depends on the airline and has not been an issue on DL recently though I believe it may have been at one point....
​​​
Your DL experience is interesting.

I was just speaking to a DL agent, making a coach reservation, then turning it into FC reservation. We discussed the problem with the risk of losing the the paid UG fee if your flight gets cancelled, and she agreed that this was a real risk.

Perhaps policies have changed and she was not aware of the change but, based upon my experience with her on the call, she sounded quite capable and knowledgeable.

Hopefully, DL has changed to a more common-sense policy. There was no justice in the original policy.

I did find, in this instance, another reason for going the real FC ticket route (as opposed to just buying an UG from coach) -- the cost for the paid UG from coach was $400. The incremental cost of replacing the coach ticket with an actual FC ticket was only $180.

The agent stated that she often sees this.