FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - France-UK travel: potential warning for "settled" EU citizens
Old Dec 21, 2021, 3:44 pm
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by N1120A
I know plenty who had no issue.
I'm sure you do and I do too, but I'm not sure what difference it makes? I know plenty of people who similarly didn't get calls when undergoing quarantine whilst I know others who did, I know plenty of people who travelled across the UK further than allowed during the first lockdown (well, we've all heard of one at least) without being caught, but some people were, and for that matter, I know plenty of people who've gone above the speed limit without being fined and others who have had.

Outside of totalitarian regimes, there is effectively almost never an intention (or capability) to ensure 100% enforcement on any rule and in the UK, police numbers are in fact quite limited and the infrastructure is such that many people will manage to slip through the net on any movement control policy in particular because the workforce is based on a "normal" system where there are normally no exit controls and where most nationals get automated entry control. But your suggestion was that the the ban on foreign (and long distance) travel was not enforced, and it was, with the means available. Some people did get caught and fined, just not everyone who tried to ignore the rules on movement control (exactly as was the case in France, Italy, and other countries with similar measures. I guess the only countries which were close to 100% control were those with such drastic measures that almost nobody at all was allowed to travel regardless of reason for a period of time (e.g. Australia, New Zealand) or those which include a face to face interview of every single incoming or outgoing traveller for safety reasons such as Israel.