FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transiting through Doha on Separate Tickets
Old Dec 9, 2021, 3:47 am
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ABG2202
Is it possible to self-connect in DOH with 2 different airlines/separate tickets? No checked-in luggage, only handcarry, and assuming the first leg will allow me to board. Yes, I understand the risk of not being allowed to board in first leg, but I can take that risk.
I've done it a couple of times on a combination of award flights. Plain sailing. Each time was hassle-free but QR was the second flight (AI-QR, TK-QR): BUT, importantly, both were in earlier, simpler days. These weird times are not good ones for adventurous ticketing.

There are two areas of uncertainty. You are confident you can neutralise the first one by convincing airline_1 you will be allowed to enter Qatar. The second risk is getting checked-in and boarding card issued by airline_2 online, and/or getting that confirmed/sorted out airside at DOH, for the second flight. If that isn't possible, time is needed to enter Qatar to check-in land-side at Doha.

For anyone entitled to a visa waiver, visa-free entry or visa on arrival then NORMALLY there'd be no problem about being accepted for the first flight, the one into Doha, as long as the usual evidence of return or onward travel is apparent.

But because entry is now modulated by Covid-induced regulations, there are additional hoops to jump through to get documentary proof that will satisfy the first airline you'll be able to enter Qatar.

Having that sorted, the other uncertain area focus on the requirements of the second airline involved, which might or might not allow online check-in for the destination you are aiming for, might or might not handle check-in and/or documentation checks airside. These things have changed, and continue to change, during the current state of emergency. However, with Qatar docs in order, and if you've budgeted sufficient time, you'll be able to go landside to check-in.