FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:42 pm
lancelot21

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by findark

Why are you in mixed cabins and how is the itinerary fared? If, for example, you have a CDG-SFO fare in Economy with a cleared upgrade on FRA-SFO, your allowance is the United Economy allowance for CDG to SFO. This is 1x 50lbs. LH will honor your *G status and delegates to kg, so your bag allowance is 2x23kg at the LH counter in CDG. The standard LH fee for a third bag on that sector is EUR 200 in advance, or EUR 250 at the counter.
Thanks. The United portions are fared as premium economy (with cleared upgrade). But the LH segment is ticketed in economy. Generically, premium economy on Lufthansa would, I think, give me 2 x 23 as a general member plus a third as *Gold.

My vague recollection is that the couple of times I tried to figure out situations like this in the past (and it's been a few years), the Flyertalk consensus was that I wouldn't get the 3 x 70, or at least, that I should be prepared not to. That said, I think I always did get the higher allotment without any question (I just said I had three bags and put them on the scale as requested). But at least I was aware that it depended on the agent, and that my mileage might vary. (Each situation was presumably a little different, and I know I was never previously booked in Premium Economy when I tried to figure it out.)