FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Checkin on UA ticket but first flight not UA operated? Who/Where/BPs/Bag allowance?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 10:06 am
TomMM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lancelot21
Returning to the U.S. CDG-FRA-SFO and trying to figure out my baggage limits. On the outbound (SFO-CDG, first flight on UA), I got the 1K three-bag allowance @70 pounds each. I believe United is the "marketing carrier", since the first flight on my itinerary was (and both trans-Atlantic flights are) on United. So should the three-bag rule continue to apply throughout my itinerary? I fear I am misremembering the rule.

For the return, I am flying LH in coach from CDG to FRA, then United business to SFO. So I need to check in with LH in CDG. My United receipt shows two bags @70 pounds (and says nothing either way about a third). United's baggage checker for my specific itinerary at this point tells me I get one bag@ 50 pounds, though the generic checker (CDG-SFO, with UA as the marketing carrier) shows me getting three bags @70 pounds.

The LH agents in CDG could go different ways, depending on how they interpret the rules. Is it clear I get three bags, or is it at the discretion of the check-in agent in CDG?
I don't know the answer but be prepared for the polite "Sorry, that is not possible" response.