FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has BA Ceased offering Armed Forces Discount?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 4:41 am
BarneyMcGrew

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Lissa17
Has anyone managed to actually get a discount? Over the last 5 years I used it multiple times, successfully getting discounted fares, and am aware of/revisited the fare rules

the link successfully accepts the password etc and shows “military fares” at the top of the screen but the prices are exactly the same as I’m getting on an unconnected device without the supposed discount.

I’ve tried not just the flights I want to book but many, many dummy routes/dates etc and no price difference compared to the man on the street…
Hi Lissa17,

I booked a simple return MAN to LHR return latish last month, using the Military Fares and it was working fine (cheaper than the standard fares in Club Europe).

However, in response to your post (above), I have just tried to book a similar journey (within the discount t&c’s) CE MAN/LHR return for mid-January 2022, and as you state, it is now returning the normal standard fares.

I will drop them an e-mail to enquire what has happened in the intervening period to make the discount unavailable.

The discount is still a live Armed Forces Covenant commitment by BA, albeit technically it does state:

‘We will offer an Armed Forces Discount through the official MoD Defence Discount Service’

With the direct Defence Discount Service (DDS) link being taken down by DDS, I am beginning to think BA may now have pulled it at their end as well (there seemed to be a problem at the DDS end - possibly connected to their move to the generated access codes I think).

I did make another enquiry with DDS last week regarding the absence of the direct DDS link and got the same ‘This is currently being investigated’ response as I had to my previous enquiries with them.

If I don’t receive a further response, I am attending a Veterans Advisory & Pensions Committee meeting next week which has covenant issues on the agenda. So, I may raise it there to get it further up the chain of command and for them to exert some pressure on DDS to get it reinstated.

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Dec 1, 2021 at 4:51 am