FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa, AZ [Master Thread]
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:13 pm
spgplat21

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I just completed a short stay here and was pretty underwhelmed. No upgrades at all for any of the rooms I had booked, late checkout was denied for all rooms, rooms were just OK (reminded me of the Hyatt Hill Country) and service was still rough around the edges.

There is still just the one restaurant open for breakfast and lunch. The lobby bar doesn't open until 3pm and the market doesn't open until 8am. There is a Starbucks that opens at 6am, but there was a 20-30 minute line both weekend mornings since the only other option before 8am was the main restaurant. Everyone other than the front desk staff was really nice and tried their best to make the best of it, but everything was packed and there just weren't enough servers anywhere. One waitperson had the entire restaurant patio in the evening and I think there were only 2 or 3 servers handling the entire pool during the day. The pool also only had beer and wine because there was no bartender until 3pm (although this seemed like this was a unique issue and not the norm). The lobby bar and patio had the best service, but tables were mostly full by 5pm. Calls to the front desk/valet often went unanswered and valet was a mess at dinner time, but really great otherwise again likely due to lack of staffing.

The resort fee includes self parking, but self parking was pretty far away so we paid for valet. Also an update on breakfast, the platinum breakfast is now the continental buffet and there is a $9 upcharge for the full buffet. I thought it was a pretty good buffet though so didn't mind the upcharge. And I know it's technically the rules, but the front desk made a point to call out that the titanium breakfast was only for one of my rooms, which after no upgrades or late checkout was a little frustrating.

The resort was fine, but I don't think I'll return any time soon. We really liked the Tucson area, but the rates here were really high, and I think I prefer almost all of the Phoenix-area resorts. I'll probably try RC Dove Mountain at some point.

Last edited by spgplat21; Nov 8, 2021 at 1:46 pm