FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Travel With Children - Single Parent Travelling With Child(ren) Thread [Merged]
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:54 am
Dani

Programs: QF, IB
Countries that require "permission" document from non-travelling parent

Prompted by the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368213

Chile:
I thought I would share my recent experience travelling to Chile.

On our last trip to Chile we were questioned regarding our daughter. She travels on a Spanish passport and as such it shows both parents surnames (our case is a little odd as her second surname is not the same as mine due to my parents changing our surname when I was a child. Her Spanish passport and other documents were issued with my birth surname as per my birth certificate.......I digress). Finally we were able to explain that we were both her parents.

We were warned that if we entered the country together and then only one of us needed to leave Chile with our daughter we would need an Authorisation to Travel from the non-travelling parent. This would be necessary even though none of us are chilean (well, I was born there but am an Australian citizen).

We will again be travelling to Chile and we are now in the process of organising the Authorisation with a Chilean consulate here in Spain.

Spain:
If one parent departs Spain with a child it is not necessary to have an authorisation from the second parent. This has been our experience for the past three years. Each time we travel we telephone different governement offices and get the response that nothing is necessary.

Anybody else have experiences with countries requiring tourists to have authorisation documents?

Last edited by Dani; Nov 4, 2004 at 10:29 am