FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated EWR connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:47 pm
CruiserCLE

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Domestically, D-I is a vastly different experience than I-D since there are no outbound immigration or customs formalities.

To answer your question: Yes, MCT for D-I at EWR, on UA-UA flights, is 0:40. However, there are a number of exceptions: if you're arriving on a widebody or a 753, it's :45. If you're arriving by bus (from Allentown), it's :50. If you're going to TLV, it's 1:00 (extra security checks for Israel-bound flights). etc.

But also, add ten minutes if you have to transfer from A-C. The problem with this one is, if you're coming in on United Express, you won't know for sure if you'll be landing at A until the day of the flight. So you can book something that's valid all the way up until the day of travel... and then suddenly becomes invalid. (AFAIK, UA doesn't run any mainline service to terminal A).
Thanks for this detail! I've done D-I connections at EWR coming in on a widebody from IAH which may explain why I have not seen connections like this before. In this case, it's a mainline (738) arrival and a 763 departure to Europe so I guess that fits within the 'legal' parameters you laid out. If I have to go with this itinerary I'll be watching for the first sign of a delay to hopefully be re-routed at origin. My thinking is even a fairly normal ~20 minute delay for wind or something will put me into red territory and assuming I get a good agent I should be able to get re-routed before boarding. Doesn't prevent any in-air delays, etc but have to make do with what I can.