FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UK arrivals - pre-departure, quarantine and post-arrival [currently no requirements]
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:13 am
tfly212

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Thought I would give a quick recap of my experience in case it applies to anyone here. I was stressed leading up to my trip but it wasn't too bad.

Last Tues - Flew LAX to LHR on Virgin, then transited to CPH the same day. Took an Abbott test via eMed beforehand and uploaded to Virgin's site and filled out the PLF but checked the option that said I was transiting. Got to LAX, checked in...no record of the upload but I had printed copies of everything. Virgin rep gave my docs maybe 4 seconds of review and I was good to go. I highly recommend having everything printed. I have the Navica app and it worked fine, but I would just print. I did not go through UK immigration and therefore the countdown for Day 2 testing did not begin.

Flew to CPH Wed afternoon on BA. No covid test or vaccine check before boarding. When I got to CPH I cleared immigration quickly by just showing my passport and hard copy CDC vaccine card. People were showing a digital version (americans by the sound the accent) and it worked, but there was definitely some swiping and searching...I would recommend just bringing the card.

Took another eMed Abbott test on Wed night to cover my return to the UK on Friday and filled out another PLF form, this time stating I was staying in the UK. Flew CPH to LGW on Norwegian. Upon check in at CPH the Norwegian rep checked passport, vax card and PLF (again, printed them all out). Another very cursory review...name, rank serial number. LGW immigration had a line but not terrible, agent checked my passport asked my why I was there (I said "business" and he laughed and just said "couldn't they have just used Zoom?") and that was it...no vax card, no PLF, no negative test checks.

Took another eMed Abbott test Sunday (same day as my Day 2 PCR test but was concerned based on feedback i had read that I couldn't rely on the timing of the Day 2 test results, more on that below). Uploaded negative test results to Virgin's site which this time was recognized when I checked in so I only needed to show my passport and I was good to go. Flew LHR to LAX yesterday, used the Nexus terminal just as always and cleared immigration in 30 seconds.

Day 2 test - this may be moot as it sounded like the requirement was going to be dropped but this was my experience. I ordered an Azova test which was supposed to be delivered the week before I left. It did not show up, Azova customer service was useless (they pointed to UPS) and of course it showed up three hours after I left for the airport. Do not bother with them. I ordered a backup to be delivered to my hotel in London via Randox and it was waiting for me when I got there. Took the test, dropped the sample at one of the many Randox boxes and had the results mid-morning the next day. As an aside, everyone in the UK HATES this process and it is seen as nothing more than a money grab by FOB (friends of Boris).

Overall it was pretty simple. Just overdo your paperwork and take your covid tests and it won't be very stressful at all.