FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HNL > ??? > LHR with Avios
View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:08 am
HSR1234

HNL > ??? > LHR with Avios

I have a 241 booking for next August to Vancouver. We are planning 2 weeks in the Rockies and then heading on to HNL to visit family. I am trying to work out the best route home. I need to fly to the mainland and then book a return to add onto my outbound 241 booking.

I plan to book with Avios on either American or Air Alaska to somewhere suitable. I don't know when they release seats but looking online for availability on different routes I think it is after BA and therefore I think I will have to book my BA flight back to LHR before the flights from Hawaii are released. I am tempted to come home via Seattle with Air Alaska as there seems to generally be good Avios availability on both HNL > SEA and SEA > LHR, however I know I won't get lie flat seats on the HNL > SEA leg.

I have read that lie flat seats are sometimes available with American to PHX, DFW or ORD, but available seats on those routes seem hard to find, and I believe BA treat them as first class so will need more Avios. Should I take the easy option and book the return flight from Seattle, in which case I think we might just fly economy on a day time flight and have a night in Seattle and do a bit of sightseeing before the onward flight the next day. Or, should I book a flight home from ORD, DFW or PHX and spend the next 12 months trying to join up the legs. OR, is there an alternative I have not thought of? I would be very grateful for any ideas or suggestions!