FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:22 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MechMachine
Hi all; I have a booking scenario question/hypothesis and was wondering if someone could confirm. I think I remember reading on FT someone saying for excursionist bookings; if the excursionist leg has multiple segments and a change needs to be made, all segments must have availability since that leg needs to be re-ticketed segment by segment.
Not quite. There's nothing special about the Excursionist leg when it comes to the way inventory is handled. What you may be thinking of is that all downline partner segments must have current inventory for any change, including a change to the Excursionist Perk.

Originally Posted by MechMachine
Basically do both segments need to have XN to change one of them? Seems counter intuitive but that seems how the system seems to be designed. Any tips?
(I'll use DEN-YYY to refer to your existing flight and DEN-YYY' to refer to your desired flight).

You can't change just one of them, because they're not ticketed separately. The DEN-YYY' inventory doesn't matter in the slightest. The only thing that matters is the XXX-(DEN)-YYY' inventory, which can be managed separately from XXX-DEN and DEN-YYY'. The same would be true for a cash ticket, BTW -- if you were booked on a K fare from XXX-(DEN)-YYY, and saw K inventory on the earlier DEN-YYY' flight, you still wouldn't be able to switch to it unless XXX-(DEN)-YYY' also had K inventory.

It wouldn't be any different if this were a one-way award or your outbound or return flight -- you have to look at the inventory from origin to destination, not the inventory on the individual legs.

In other words, yes, that's how it works, and no, there's not likely to be a workaround to try to get it to price the way you want it.