FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are AMEX FHR bookings eligible for MR points/nights?
Old Sep 9, 2021, 7:59 am
ZurichTravels

Programs: IHG One Rewards & World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by WasKnown
I am not a fan of FHR. Respectfully however, I am confident this is not unilaterally true. After seeing this claim in another thread, I have asked many hotels (including very popular hotels across multiple chains/brands) and not a single person has told me STARS/Virtuoso bookings have upgrade priority compared to elite status or FHR. Actually, a few GMs even specifically said that all preferred agent programs are pretty low for upgrade priority (relative to repeat guests, VIPs, and status). The main benefit with an agent is that they can solicit an upgrade on your behalf but anyone with time can accomplish this by reaching out to the hotel themselves. The agent I primarily book with has made it clear to me that she has strong relationships with a few hotels on my radar and can ask the teams there to extend courtesies for her clients at these hotels. However, she cannot feasibly do this for everyone she books there so it is only reserved for clients that put in a lot of business through her.

Not trying to disparage you. I respect the fact that you have a business that must be run. I just think that if sweeping statements like “STARS has higher priority for upgrades” are made, it’s best if they are grounded in evidence. Fundamentally, I agree with your overall idea.
Yes totally hear you on the 'evidence' side. It's hard to say as I don't use the FHR program to see what the success rate is to compare. All we know is that it's publicly stated our clients have the priority, so we also like to convey this message! Plus we have very good ins with the above property leadership who can also make things happen. But yes, within an actual 'success' report, it's hard to say either way but this is in theory, how it should be.

Totally hear you too on the math too. Prive is a good one we book a lot, for your exact reasoning about the confirmed side of things.

Anyway, back to FHR chat...!