FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:29 pm
be_rettSEA

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mtofell
So, here's one I don't think I've seen come up - Is it possible to check bags between the two legs of a flight?

I'm flying LAS > OGG and found a flight with a long layover in PDX (where I maintain a residence). Flight gets into PDX at 7PM and out the next day to OGG at 10AM. So, I could sleep at home and grab some things I'd love to take from PDX > OGG but am not willing to drag with me through Las Vegas for a week.
Not sure if you're asking if they'll keep them checked throughout your layover or if you're able to check them in again at PDX, but their baggage policy is this:
  • Layovers longer than 12 hrs, you'll need to claim and re-check your bags. If it were shorter than 12 hrs, you'd have the option to not check them through all the way, I believe. You'd just notify the agent you'd like to claim them during your layover.
  • You can check bags in no earlier than 4 hrs prior to your flight, up until 1 hr before departure. Because it's a longer layover, this may mean paying the baggage fee twice, unless you have a fee waiver from the AS Visa or elite status.