FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Residence Inn by Marriott Oahu Kapolei, HI [Master Thread]
Old Aug 29, 2021, 3:54 pm
1mileman

Originally Posted by cjjones051

I've been loyal to Marriot and SPG for years, but the merger seems to have downgraded the benefits of both programs. I am currently Gold and about to be Plat in about 10 days. I had a reservation from 8Aug-30Sep about 54 days at this property. I spoke with the GM about a $35/day rate adjustment to meet my reimbursement amount. The response was a no. After the first three weeks, I had time to do some additional research and found out that if I booked my stay in 3-4 night increments, I would receive the rate that my company would cover. So I made about eight separate back-to-back reservations that would cover the stay. The day before checking out the original reservation, the Manager on Duty (MOD) told me that I would incur a one-night penalty for canceling the original reservation even though I would be staying until my original departure date. I asked for the policy to be shown in writing, and he stated that it's internal to Marriott only and would not produce it. I asked the front desk agent to put me in for a late check out because I would have to switch rooms, and she was granting it until the MOD came over and stopped it. When I stopped by the desk the next morning, the agent put me in for a late checkout so I could move my belongings to the new room as soon as it was ready. This was a perfectly reasonable solution. The challenge i have is that the MOD is attempting to implement a policy that he cannot produce in writing. Then it feels like retaliation with the denied late checkout because I told him that I would escalate this to Marriott Corp/Loyalty retention. I understand that each Marriott may have their own policies, but i have never encountered a one-night penalty because of an earlier-than-expected departure. When I contacted the Bonvoy loyalty department, they could not see a policy that included a one-night penalty at this property. Has anyone else encountered this or something similar?

Have you checked your confirmation details? Usually things like this are covered in the rate details in your confirmation email. I'd check that before escalating.