FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz/MP offers - [Consolidated] {earn up to 1,250 miles bonus based on UA status}
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:34 pm
exerda
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Side question: are you actually getting reasonable rates for Hertz compared to other companies? They have been obscene the few trips I considered them....like double of triple Avis cost. Curious to know if they have settled down. I haven't looked in 5 months.
I check, and occasionally Hertz is competitive. They were the cheapest for example for a trip I'd originally booked to MSN next weekend (I ended up cancelling that and opting to go to Vermont instead when I realized it was Penn St. vs. Wisconsin and downtown would be slammed). But then at BTV, National blew them away; they were literally 1/6th the rate for Hertz, and I usually get far better cars from National (as a middling Emerald Exec via Amex Plat, vs. the Hertz President's Circle via UA). I noticed Hertz is totally gone at a few airports I travel to also, leaving only Avis and Enterprise/National in those cases.

For that matter, the UA CDP code for Hertz is rarely the cheapest of those I have legit access to; sometimes it is, sure, and I usually check, but it's rare. My employer leisure rate code is normally 1/2 what the UA CDP is (even more odd is when I check the old, pre-merger employer CDP, which still exists 19 years after the acquisition of that company by my current employer, and often is a very good rate).