FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:46 pm
fafa123

Was scheduled to fly UA KEF=EWR on 7/28/21, 11;20am departure. Arrive at the airport to be told no plane as flight from Chicago had to turn around and return to airport. Flight delayed until 11:55pm (later further delayed to7/29 1:55am). No ability to put us on another carrier flight. Told to call United and the CSRs disappeared. I rebooked on Icelandicair, cancelled United return.

On the United feedback webpage asked for compensation under EU261, reimbursement for lunch and transport there (no food landside in KEF and no vouchers offered), and reimbursement for luggage storage for the day (total $159). United agreed to pay the $159 and credited me for the leg I didn't take. They said no on the EU261 as the "inbound flight to your location was delayed due to a medical issue. This delay would have caused the flight crew to exceed permissible duty hours as mandated by the Federal Aviation Administration." Isn't this a knock on effect? It says in the wiki above, "Delays of the INCOMING aircraft for ANY reason NEVER qualify as an exemption for compensation as per EU court rulings." What should I say to United? Anyone aware of case law to cite?