FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)
Old Aug 2, 2021, 8:25 pm
dszrew

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
The biggest Pro, for points and miles aficionados like many of us here, is the $695 annual rebate (Engagement Bonus) which more than offsets 0.30% ($15) on $5,000.
Or rather $695 rebate and free additional user (additional $175 savings/benefit).

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
I suspect that for many of us here the $5,000 we put into an Access Investing account is NOT a major part of our overall portfolio. I plan to apply for all these accounts in a few months when the AF on a different AmEx Plat will be due, I consider the earning, or lack thereof, on the $5,000 (and the $25,000) to be a “cost of doing business”.
For me and others, moving cash to these accounts gets a greater "return" or benefit than paid on a savings account. However, we virtually make a committment to keep the cash in the account in order to avoid monthly fees. So we gain some return or benefit, in exchange for less flexibility in taking cash back out. Yes it's simple to transfer the cash out, but at the potential cost of a monthly fee, which discourages using your own cash. So it becomes more an investment you don't touch for a rate of return better than savings but likely less than a typical investment.