FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:07 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dyerc
As I understand it, simply quoting "operational reasons" is not sufficient. So I've responded by stating they must demonstrate the cancelation was outside of their control. And if they do not provide a satisfactory response within 7 days I shall pass the matter to a claims handling company.
If they cancelled giving you less than 14 days notice and they were operating on other days and/or they gave alternative routing, then depending on the details you may have a case. As shown by some of the recent posts upthread, COVID is regarded as an extraordinary circumstance but as you indicate BA need to show there really were no alternatives open to them (e.g. if there was a government ban). Whether your claim will succeed will depend on the details. I would suggest CEDR rather than a claims handling company.

Originally Posted by dyerc
Also, this year they've cancelled our outbound flight. Eventually we had to opt for an indirect option with Fin Air (LHR -> HEL -> BUD). That is due to depart on the 02/08/21. But yesterday I received an email stating the return had been cancelled (BUD -> LHR - 19/08/21). Again this a flight + car booking.

Does it make any difference that the cancelation is within 14 days of the outbound date? I'm guessing not and they don't have to compensate given the cancelation is outside of the 14 days for the return flight which has been cancelled. But wanted to double check.
If BA told you more than 2 weeks before the cancelled flight (not the outbound date) then they are off the hook for sure. They do have to either offer a refund or alternative arrangements, and I suspect they will offer both.