FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Jul 24, 2021, 10:58 am
dyerc

I put in a claim for a cancelation last August. They cancelled our return flight several times, including once when I received the email on landing on the outbound leg. I was going to let it go, but they have really annoyed me this year. Advertising a full schedule to LHR <-> BUD/VIE, but cancelling on a ~3week window. So I decided to claim for last year when one of the cancelations was within the 14 day window.

I just received the following back from them:

Thanks for contacting us about your claim for EU compensation. We're sorry it was necessary to cancel your flight from Budapest on 02 September 2020.

Your claim's been refused because BA0875 on 02 September 2020 was cancelled because of operational reasons.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid disruption to a flight and we always consider if there are any other alternative solutions before we make a decision. The cancellation was out of our control and caused unforeseen disruption to our schedule.

Thanks again for following this up with us. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.
As I understand it, simply quoting "operational reasons" is not sufficient. So I've responded by stating they must demonstrate the cancelation was outside of their control. And if they do not provide a satisfactory response within 7 days I shall pass the matter to a claims handling company.

Any advice/pointers greatly accepted.

NB: This was a BA Hols Flight + Car booking incase that makes a difference.