FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:57 am
lhrsfo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I should imagine that there is strong pressure from businesses in the USA and in the banned countries to permit travel by staff between offices. This will intensify as face to face meetings become more common - and the ban will become seen as something that really hinders business. I don't think that there will be much political pressure to reopen tourism. And there are not enough people with families split across continents (and who aren't otherwise exempt) to make a strong constituency. However, unlike the UK which likes to make detailed and extensive rules, and then not enforce them, the US tends to take a more pragmatic approach. If my analysis is correct, I should think that the US won't just exempt business travel (since how do you precisely define and enforce that?), but instead make the obstacles too high for casual tourists to overcome but not so high as to stop important business.

But, who knows? If it's on the political agenda, there will be a process and I'm confident that the process will result in a conclusion of, at least, some opening.