FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Can BA compete to SYD without the A380?
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:08 pm
Andrius

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Oh gos yes... it is, isn't it?

It looks extremely fat, with little stubbly wings, and I have trouble imagining being able to gain enough speed to lift off without becoming winded. It is greatly in need of the Atkins diet I believe, and some time in the pool.

The 747 is much more beautiful... long and slender body, with a beautiful profile and commanding nose, with long wings and a perfectly proportioned tail. The extended upper deck was a great improvement as well. The 747 was recently included on a list of "10 most beautiful industrial designs" by a magazine I read or show I watched, I forget now.
A380 is uglier than any piece of machinery I have seen in my life, INCLUDING that Fiat what's-it's-name Multipla that looks as if its parents had too much toxins in their diet and certain French cars designed in the eighties that look like vacuum cleaners designed at East German prison camps for the rehabilitation of the blind offenders.

But then maybe Airbus people have to spend so much time worrying about their government subsidies that they don't have a chance to think about design. Here's my favourite excuse by Airbus enthusiasts: you see, it will look better when it's actually nicely painted. I could not think this one up

747-400 is graceful in any colour and like you say it has perfect proportions; the upper deck cockpit lends it a "predator" look and the wing shape, tail and engine placement - all of it is just PERFECT.

BTW, 777 also looks quite good with its oversized engines, quite a beefy, muscular shape.

And 380... Well, it is just fat. It's like a dildo with wings, if you pardon my expression.