FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Hilton Allow Credit Card Surcharges for US Hotels?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 5:45 pm
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
I am at this hotel right now. They won’t let you pay cash so you have to pay this “tax.” It’s patently illegal under federal law and likely under Vermont law. Also, only a government entity can charge a tax. It’s too bad as the hotel itself is pretty nice, but I will be calling Hilton corporate as soon as I check out and they will likely be sued and sanctioned
They are charging a surgcharge and won't let you pay cash?????

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Lots of places charge a cc surcharge. Especially small businesses.
Hilton isn't a small business and most people use a credit card for a hotel. Its also assinine since Am Ex issues a Hilton Branded card.

And I think it has to be disclosed which it sounds like it wasnt in this case.

If I were a hotel I wouldn't want the liability of having cash laying around anyway.

Originally Posted by tobegold
you need to contact the state attorneys office, contacting Hilton will not do much.
And also contact Am Ex and contest the charges since it's not disclosed and not a tax and against Am Ex's terms of service. Also leave a bad review on yelp and TA.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jul 11, 2021 at 9:14 pm Reason: Consolidation.