FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US reopened on 8 November 2021 (& subsequent entry restrictions for non-citizens)
Old Jul 6, 2021, 1:40 pm
cmd320
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Owenc
I think that many “Europeans” enjoy visiting America but at the same time are aware of an air of superiority where we are not treated equally.

Americans expect benefits and to be given freedom of movement but look at us as if we are crazy for requesting equivalence, implying that we are inferior.

In reading the thread over the past few months it’s been clear that there is a minority who appear to be grasping at straws and at any old excuse to keep the borders closed.
I think your complaint isn't with Americans but with the American government. I don't know anyone personally who would be against opening the boarder of European tourists, in fact, I'd be willing to bet if you polled most Americans, they wouldn't even know the border was closed to Europeans. Unfortunately, the American approach to government is much like anything else in the US, the best marketing strategy wins because most aren't willing to do their own research and formulate their own conclusions, with many taking any information at face value.

I also don't really think Americans expect freedom of movement. The reality is Europeans, on average, are exponentially more well-traveled than Americans. I've been with a number of Americans in Europe who have been surprised at how easy it is to move between countries in the EU due to the lack of border enforcement.