FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA summer fares have significantly increased, will that continue into the future?
Old Jun 21, 2021, 8:09 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jp12687
Is it just me are as things have picked up the prices have sky rocketed? Looking at LGA/EWR-ORD flights and cant seem to find anything under $700 right now. Pre COVID i could do this flight for $250-300-- or I could fly out of HPN for $500. Tons of flights over $1k.

Is this due to staffing shortages/not enough flights to meet demand?
I remember when you could do LGA-ORD for $200 r/t!

When are you looking for? There’s another thread on summer pricing, seeing the same kind of high pricing. For me, I’m near SFO/SJC, and seeing high pricing as well - >$300 SFO-LAX/SaN/PHX through July and August. I thought $500 to ORD was high, until I read your experience. I’ve looked other carriers as well - in some instances, AA is a bit cheaper on some routes, but mostly UA is pretty on par with what I’ve seen with others. Mostly this is likely due to pent up demand and supply that hasn’t caught up. At least on many of the not as prime nonstop routes I’m looking at, many of them don’t even return until November.

At least where I’ve looked, pricing seems to be closer to normal after Labor Day. I think any traveling well do by plane will wait until the fall - and any travel For summer will be road trips. We are 4, so these high prices x 4 just ain’t feasible.