FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT
Old Jun 18, 2021, 12:01 pm
semifrequentflyer

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by eng3
I've seen plenty of other 2yr olds able to keep their mask on for the whole flight (except eating). I recall a flight where we had to turn off the runway and head back to the gate because a child refused to wear his seat belt and the mother would use profanities talking to her child while referring to the FA who kept trying to get the mother to get the seat belt on the child. Eventually, after the pilot made a few announcements, the child complied and we went on our way. Ofcourse the mother said "I'm never flying this airline again".

As for the OP, I've flown throughout the pandemic and when eating, I take my mask off when I start eating and put it back on after I finish eating. I usually finish eating in less than 10min. I've never gotten a complaint. Overall, most FA's don't do much for enforcement, they make the requirement announcements and then perhaps go after the overt people trying to not wear their mask at all. Ofcourse, there are outliers, some don't care at all, some make multiple lengthy announcements and will go around reminding everyone who doesn't have their nose covered. I've noticed the same on other airlines including in europe.
My intention was not to say that all 2 year olds are unable to wear a mask, because I'm sure many are able to (There can be a large difference between a 2 and 2.99 year old). I was just pointing out in my situation I don't believe that my child at 1 year and 364 days will wake up the next day and become fully mask compliant. I would imagine many other parents would feel the same way. Just making a point that room for flexibility may not be a bad thing for issues that are not so cut and dry.
Anyway for me it's a moot point, because at least until 9/13/2021, the rules are the rules.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2021 at 12:16 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit; discuss of the appropriateness of the requirements are for other forum