FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Marriott Reopen Lifetime Titanium Status?
Old May 17, 2021, 8:32 pm
r415

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Happened to me at the RC Kuala Lumpur, RC Koh Samui (Villa) and RC Bali.

But I agree, the way that Marriott excludes Ritz Carlton properties while St. Regis provides all benefits is ridiculous. I have yet to see and RC that is better than a StR so not sure why these properties are so sheltered. Sounds a bit like SQ Suites that were always the holy grail, not accessible to other programs and at one point nobody cared anymore.
This is likely an artifact of the fact the legacy SPG properties did suite upgrades across all their high-end brands (Element and Aloft excluded, but they're not high end), including the St Regis and even the boutique Luxury Collection hotels, whereas suite upgrades in the legacy Marriott program were much more hit-or-miss per hotel. Some went above and beyond but suite upgrades weren't part of the brand standard and RC was always stingy on Marriott status benefits. That's why the legacy SPG brands tend to be more consistent about status benefits than the legacy Marriott brands.

I've gotten a suite upgrade at RC once (RC Marina Del Rey), out of dozens of stays at various RCs. The upgrade and elite treatment at St Regis and LC properties (and even Westins and Ws) is generally much more consistent than the legacy Marriott brands (though some individual legacy Marriott hotels within a brand do well).