FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?
View Single Post
Old May 13, 2021, 10:42 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by WasKnown
I meant better for recognition, not reward. Sorry about that. Hilton definitely has a better rebate even without the promos. The generous promos just further cement Hilton’s lead.

Bonvoy is definitely not a perfect program. I joined FlyerTalk because the Bonvoy Twitter account was giving me incorrect information repeatedly :P. However, I do think the soft aspects of the program (suite upgrades, welcome recognition, late check-out, etc) are meaningfully better than what is offered by Hilton. For example, my friends and I recently traveled to Bangkok. The Waldorf Astoria and St. Regis were very close to each other so we decided to each stay at one. Two people stayed at the Waldorf Astoria as Diamond and two at the St. Regis as Titanium. The WA group got upgraded to a studio suite and was told that is the highest they can get upgraded to. That was honestly a fine upgrade but, supposedly, the WA was full of Diamonds/Golds at the breakfast (according to FT). Other than the upgrade, it was a normal and pleasant stay at the WA. At the STR, we were upgraded to the best one bedroom suite in the hotel. The check-in team knew me by name the second I walked into the lobby. There was a wonderful welcome surprise in our room. The butler somehow knew my preferences for housekeeping service time and alcohol (despite having never stayed at that hotel previously).

Like I said before, people need to do what I do and vote with their wallets. Especially with Hilton seeing how easy it is to get diamond status. Just get it for free with the Am Ex and use the benefits and use Hilton when necessary and spend the higher rate business stays at another chain and get status there. In fact a lot of chains will status match and do fast tracks to status for a year, just have to send them proof of status and a statement showing your stays and activity.

I have read the troubles that others have had with Bonvoy and acknowledge that they are common. My experience has been nothing short of delightful however. Obviously my experience has been especially great in Asia (my dad’s Ritz Carlton Lujiazui suite upgrade in college is what inspired my interest in this) and the Middle East (the Abu Dhabi EDITION just confirmed a suite upgrade before check-in in the middle of EID). However, I have also had great experience with recognition at US luxury hotels too. For example, JW Marriott Essex House and the New York EDITION have all created wonderful experiences for me. I hope (not expect) to have a similarly delightful experience at the St Regis New York too. Even the Park Hyatt One57 has failed to treat Globalists the way I have been treated in luxury NYC Bonvoy properties! My experience at US upscale hotels (and below) is much more mixed. I think that is a huge area for Bonvoy to improve.

There are definitely way more Titaniums than Globalists but I suspect there are way more Diamonds than Titaniums. I just don’t know if my experiences are possible in a program where any US resident can reach top status if they want to get a specific credit card. My experiences with Hilton as a Diamond are much more limited but, so far, have been much more standard. I have not had any negative experiences at Hilton’s but I have never been delighted either. If I’m being honest, I feel more recognized as a mid-tier Hyatt Explorist than as a Hilton Diamond.
I find Hilton points not that valuable. Back when Diamond was a decent program and they had the diamond force for standard rates they were pretty valuable to me. Now I'm lucky if I can get a half penny a point. Points keep getting devlued and program really went down hill when Hilton quit capping number of poitns for a reservation. The poitns are a lot easier to earn than with other programs but are worth a lot less.

I'm sure there are a lot more Titaniums than globalists and wouldn't be surprised if there were a lot more Hilton Diamonds ahnd Globalists and and Titaniums combined. Hilton pays people to be diamonds if they use the credit card right. Even if they didn't they have more properties than Hyatt or Marriott and cater to a different crowd. Marriott has a lot more properties than Hyatt and caters to a different crowd as well, they cater to a higher end customer base (wth the exception of maybe fairfield) than a lot of Hilton brands and Hyatt caters to a higher end customer base than Marriott or Hilton.

If Hilton would just add another teir that would even give out a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout or offer it to people who spend 60+ nights a year and lifetime diamodns I'd be happy. I really don't care too much about upgrades or a breakfast on a business trip (but I know those benefits are more important to some other people than a late checkout).

Last edited by jamesteroh; May 13, 2021 at 10:48 am