FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Retiring in 5 Years: 600K Miles on UA Go for 1M Miles?
Old May 9, 2021, 12:27 pm
Repooc17
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
I am 230k away from 1MM - and, especially with the pandemic - it might as well be a zillion miles.... I am traveling domestically at in UA metal and will make 1K this year (6th year in a row) and I think I barely picked up 50k BIS.... 100K BIS miles if you are not traveling international, is a lot (for example - many of my flights are DEN-ORD are that is barely 1,000 miles) of trips.... even if the minimum that you get is 500 BIS for a leg, we are talking about taking 200 segments x 500 miles/trip to get 100k BIS miles......even transcond requires a lot of traveling...... the reality is discouraging.

I am sticking with UA for many reason (and not worth getting into on this post) but it will be years and years before I get to 1MM - if ever given how my flying patterns have changed.... and even if/when I do, it is unclear what those benefits will be and whether I will actually find them useful...but as someone else posted, in this day and age, it is nice to have a goal.....
Tell me about it. I have flown about 40 paid UA flights (all lower 48 domestic) to-date through early May, and only around 65K BIS to show for. Approaching 100K BIS in total soon, with a combination of airlines flown not just on UA.

I am nowhere close to 1MM. It is a goal only, as I have always booked based on schedule and price, and not the carrier.