FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond room upgrade - better to just arrive @ hotel or request a day or two before?
Old May 8, 2021, 12:02 am
ORDnHKG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
In my one example, they sold or upgraded all those suites to large families that needed extra room with kids. I was there for 10 nights, and saw that all the suites were booked. And a few standard rooms still available. So, I know I wasn't being lied to. Also, glad I didn't do housekeeping there. Those rooms were trashed.
Are they booked or locked ? Hotels are just like airlines that can lock certain rooms / seats for people that have certain status / VIP status and only the on duty manager can released those rooms, it will appeared they are booked but actually they are not, I learned that from a few properties that I frequent.

Suites are rarely given as upgrades just because a party of 5 need extra space, it is more likely given to singles or couples that have high status and only there for 1 or 2 nights as they still try to sell the room on other days, so long term stay 5 nights or longer is unlikely that you would get upgrade to a suite from the lowest category room, some properties may still do it if you book a room that is one category below a suite

Last edited by ORDnHKG; May 8, 2021 at 12:15 am