FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New policy for paid and miles upgrades (AF/KL) - sept 2017
Old May 7, 2021, 4:14 am
f0zzyNUE

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Goldorak
I think it’s hard to draw conclusions here, like for trying to decrypt the famous AF algorithm for operational upgrades. I am Ultimate, so by definition, I am a premium class flyer long-haul. For paid upgrades on long- or medium-haul flights, over the last years before I was Ulti or since I am Ulti, I had sometimes some interesting offers and some non-interesting ones. I benefited from the interesting ones from time to time. Since the beginning of the pandemic, all my business travels stopped and all my flights were personal trips and all but one were domestic and EU trips for obvious reasons. For those trips since May 2020, it happened that I booked 2 or 3 trips in J upfront because prices were good (sometimes cheaper than Y), but for all the other ones in Y, the upgrade offers were all in the 300€ range. So, should I believe that because I booked 3 or 4 trips in J out of something like 20 in one year, I have this suspected insane NDPU mention in my profile? I have the feeling that it is more complicated than this. Could be wrong of course.
yep. it might be a lot more complicated with additional criteria like
* do the previous trips look like business trips (e.g. return flight before the weekend)
* how often has an offered upgrade already been taken in the last months
* how frequently do you travel
* do you travel alone or with companions
* do you book flexible or discount type fares