FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No more splitting PNRs to get on the upgrade list? (but still split if upgraded)
Old May 7, 2021, 3:55 am
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
Hmm, did that PAX have a KTN tied to their MP account?
She does.

Originally Posted by Kacee
To my knowledge, SHARES is not capable of doing that. That's why the choice has always been either split, or no upgrade.
So I had an outbound and return to MCO the past two weeks. On the outbound, checked in, opted for the split. When checking bags at ORD, we were still on the same PNR. This was new to me - usually the PNR split immediately after opting for the upgrade list.

On the return, did the same thing, only this time the upgrade cleared, and we had different PNRs when checking bags at MCO. (But the KTN from her MP account did not make it to the new PNR, which she didn't notice until at the TSA agent, but she was able to go back to the kiosk and add the KTN herself.)

So it seems like adding a multi-PAX PNR to the upgrade list no longer splits it until an upgrade actually happens.

Originally Posted by fumje
I believe they've made some change to the check-in process. Now it seems to keep paired PNRs together and in place on the list until some other intervention is taken to clear one or both.

So if the top of the list is a pair, and inventory is J3, the CPU sweep will just hold at T-24h, regardless of whether they have checked in or not and agreed to split or not. If it goes to the gate and there is still one seat left, the gate agent will trigger the split.
I don't think they hold the whole queue; our upgrade was processed well before we got to the airport (and the PNR was split at that time.)

We did both get processed at the same time, so it seems even if there is J+2 the reservation still gets split.