FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancellation Frustration, Can Twitter Do Refunds?
Old May 4, 2021, 2:39 pm
tom261

Programs: Starwood, WN, DL
Originally Posted by SWAVictor
dcstudent -

I'm sorry to hear that we have disappointed you.

The ability to request a refund for a flight canceled by Southwest is not at this point automated, thats why you aren't seeing that as an option online. Its an "exception" that currently has to be handled manually.

As for the message, "weather" was only intended to be an example, and we are currently reviewing that message to update for more clarity.

I am not personally familiar with the algorithm that decides what flight to move passengers to, however I do know that for a full flight, its not usually possible to move all the passengers to one new flight, and it appears they tried to get your departure time as close as possible to your original flight time, although as you pointed out, that is not a favorable routing or arrival time for you.

Customer Relations will be able to either move you to a flight that you would prefer, or process the cancellation and refund for you.

Another question I can’t seem to find the answer to on the internet - My flight has been cancelled by Southwest. It was booked with a combination of travel funds and new cash (via credit card). If I request a refund, will the combined total go back in full to my credit card or will the travel fund portion go back to being travel funds?