FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old May 4, 2021, 10:53 am
Julie Patterson

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, Julie Patterson

The waitlist is primarily determined by status, then fare and then other factors including when requested. So the flight change reset the request time but the major factors are status and fare. On a L fare (deep discount economy) you will be below essentially all other 1Ks using PlusPloints and all GSs (even on CPU).

The 7 seats -- is that looking at the seat map?? That may or may not be accurate. If you know how to turn on fare class inventory (Expert Mode) on UA (in your profile), you can get better data

5 out of 7 normally isn't great this far out. Some late purchasers will take seats, some will purchase cash upgrades, some late purchasing 1K/GS will jump ahead of you (higher status or higher fare). However, airlines are seeing lots of lst minute cancellations, so predictions are hard to make.
yeah the seat map shows 7 seats but looking at the actual upgrade list it says 41 out of 50 booked. Seems like using miles at this point might be the right call. I really didn't think this would be an issue during COVID but I guess people are resuming travel sooner than I expected!