FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to get residual/"future flight credit" from non-refundable flight
Old May 3, 2021, 10:04 am
Xyzzy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Ivan X
Just thought I'd throw a DP up here that I bought a UA cash ticket a week ago, and today I wanted to cancel it. The Premier Desk agent said she could not issue or convert the cancelled ticket to an ETC; her system wouldn't even let her. FFC was my only option. She offered to speak to a supervisor to try to have them do it, so she did, but she came back and said the supervisor said that they are not issuing ETC's upon request at all any more.
You may wish to politely HUCA when they tell you such things. What you were told does not meet up with my experience. We had tickets for today and the end of the week. We called in yesterday and asked to 1) cancel them 2) issue ETCs instead of FFC and 3) combine the ETCs so we were left with a single one. The agent had no problem in doing that and we received no pushback at all. I have had pushback in the past and simply calling back resulted in success. I find it FAR easier to manage credit in the form of an ETC vs. multiple sets of FFC.

Now if they'd only let me combine an ETC balance with my UA Travelbank balance...