FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Kansas City - REVIEW MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2021, 5:59 am
downinit

Originally Posted by Daftryan
Looks like a beautiful hotel. Now if there was ever any reason to visit Kansas City...

I take it you're a Nine Inch Nails fan?
Indeed!

I actually have to say that I quite enjoyed just aimlessly wandering around downtown KC. The area is shockingly clean and architecturalIy interesting, with a juxtaposition of 100-year-old high-rises, alongside some very modern buildings. I found myself taking quite a few pictures of various buildings. The city does have a rich history, if you go back to the railroad days, when it was basically at the center of that universe. The tram is a great addition, allowing easy access to the riverfront and Union Station from downtown. I used to go frequently as a kid, but downtown was always a no-go zone for us, as it had become quite derelict and crime-ridden. I had only made one recent trip back a few years ago for a wedding, but we were too busy running around to spend much time downtown. I was actually staying a block away from where the Hotel KC is, at the Hilton President, but I don't even remember walking outside much on that trip.

If you do go, I would definitely recommend a visit to the Steamship Arabia Museum, Union Station, and the neighboring WWI Museum (perched atop a hill overlooking downtown, which is also a great spot to go at night for the view of the city). That said, there were a few times I thought I missed the zombie apocalypse, as there was practically no one walking around the streets on Monday or Tuesday morning in early April. But I never once felt unsafe, and I did not recall even seeing any homeless people walking around (a refreshing change of pace from my own town). There is a nearby entertainment district that comes alive at nights and on weekends, but very little in the way of shopping in the immediate vicinity, beyond the grocery store.