FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crew vaccination plans
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:18 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LucyK1806
I thought we were still going through by age bracket, plus vulnerable, key workers, etc.

I’m 46 and managed to squeeze in with my 54 year old hubby got his.
The guidance is very much age and medical vulnerability led - that's still the 95% position. We are now jabbing a lot in their early 40s though. The only worker groups prioritised are NHS and social care workers. And arguably the NHS isn't in the same risk position as it was when an average of 1,401 people a day were dying from COVID-19, as was the case on 26 January 2021, it's now 24 fatalities a day on average and only 1.1% of the UK's hospital beds have a COVID-19 patient in them. We have been calling in fireflighters, police, taxi drivers and occasionally teachers to use up spare doses, but that's more because you can make one telephone call and end up with 200 police officers in the waiting area 30 minutes later. Taxi drivers have been hit hard by the virus, as a profession, and bring a lot of our patients to the vaccination centre (and are also very quick to arrive). We are not prioritising airport and airline related staff despite the fact that one of our centres is close to NCL and the other is next to BA's Newcastle contact centre. Many of the vaccinators and other vaccine centre staff are furloughed cabin crew, so they will have had both vaccines typically.