FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Marriott Bonvoy point value / valuation : How much is a point worth ?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:33 am
cre95

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys - I've often read that marriott points are worth 0.9 cents. Looking at my options at a popular orlando vacation club, it's 300k for 7 nights or $1200 putting the valuation at 0.4 cents

In these instances, is it just better to pay with cash? I don't expect to flying for leisure for another 6 months at least (maybe more) so my question is - have you guys come across plenty of opportunities to hit that 0.9 cents valuation? I have chase reserve which gives me 50% bonus on redemption so that that $1200 would actually be 800k chase UR points

Thanks
Others have provided feedback on the value of Marriott points so I'll leave that alone.

On the Chase UR front, you would actually need 80,000 points for your example. The Chase UR points are valued at 50% bonus as you mention which means each provides 1.5 cents of value. So, for a $1,200 booking, you would need 1200/0.015 = 80,000 points. The nice thing about Chase UR points is that they don't play the game of low/high season. They provide you 1.5 cents of value which then directly relates to whatever the cash rate is. Of course, the cash rate is also open to fluctuation so you should also check what Marriot is offering on their points rate and decide which route makes sense for you ... cash / Marriott points / Chase UR points